There’s a reason legendary blues diva Etta James called Jimmy Z her “Hootchie Cootchie Man” and Dave Stewart of the Eurythmics calls him “the best harmonica player in the world.” Jimmy attracts attention. He caught the attention of Rod Stewart, Tom Petty and the Eurythmics – all of whom he recorded and toured with. He also caught the attention of Dr. Dre, Barry White, Ziggy Marley, Yes, Bon Jovi, Bone Thugs-N-Harmony, Macy Gray, Jaguares, and countless others who sought out Jimmy Z’s blazing harmonica and soulful saxophone to spice up their recordings.
From a smoky 20-seat bar in Sacramento to the 300,000 person sold out Rock in Rio concert with Rod Stewart in Brazil, Jimmy has toured the world blowing crowds away with his electrifying stage presence. Performing in 1988 with the Eurythmics for the Nelson Mandela Concert at Wembley Stadium and televised to 1 billion people worldwide, Jimmy’s harmonica solo on “There Must Be An Angel (Playing With My Heart)” brought the world to its knees.
In 1988, Jimmy’s first solo instrumental album was for Miles Copeland, then owner of IRS Records, called “Anytime…Anyplace!” In 1991, legendary rapper Dr. Dre produced Jimmy Z’s next album “Muzical Madness,” featuring Jimmy on lead vocals. In addition, Jimmy Z and Dr. Dre co-wrote all the songs.
In the 1990’s & 2000’s, he toured extensively with the late, great Etta James, as well as the Mexican rock band Jaguares, while also fronting his own blues-rock band, ZTribe. The ZTribe CD, “Caught Inside” is a true indication of Jimmy’s amazing abilities with the harmonica, saxophone and vocals.
Jimmy then produced and played on “The Heart and Soul of a Jaguar – Corazon Y Alma de un Jaguar.” This CD is a true blending of the Mexican side of Rock en Espanol, provided by Jimmy’s hermanos – some of the great musicians of Jaguares, along with their ZTribe counterparts from the world of blues and R&B. It is a combination of musical influences, creating a unique sound from both sides of the border that the whole world will enjoy.
In 2006, Jimmy joined blues and jazz luminaries Zac Harmon, Munyungo Jackson, Gregg Wright and Rich DelGrosso in “NeoBlues“, a fresh look and listen at African-American music in the 21st Century.
Every year since 2010, Jimmy toured Scandinavia and the Baltics as a duo with Swedish blues star Slidin’ Slim.
In 2011, Jimmy became bandleader for the “Sons of Etta”, a group he formed with Etta James’ sons Donto and Sameto and legendary soul singer Thelma Jones.
In 2012 and 2013, Jimmy Z and the ZTribe toured throughout Europe, including the Klaipeda Castle Jazz Festival (Lithuania), the Sigulda Blues Festival (Latvia), and the Augustibluus Blues Festival (Estonia).
Jimmy writes an occasional blog called “Confessions of a Glorified Sideman“, chronicling his adventures (and misadventures) in the music business. It includes many anecdotes and adventures from being on the road with some of the most famous (and infamous) musical celebrities.
In addition, he has recently been recording music for stock libraries and soundtracks for documentaries and radio & TV commercials as well as producing new music in his home studio.
Jimmy Z has appeared and acted in the movies “Georgia,” “The Doors,” “Wild at Heart,” and “The Shrink Is In”, as well as concert films with Rod Stewart, Tom Petty, the Eurythmics, Jaguares, and Etta James.
He has scored numerous videos, films, and documentaries as well.
Jimmy Z and the ZTribe’s music is available from the ZTribe website, CD Baby, iTunes, and Amazon.
ZTribe is a registered trademark of Zavala Music, Inc.
- March 7th 2020, Cannery Hotel and Casino, North Las Vegas, NV, USA
- March 4th 2020, Marriott, Anaheim, CA, USA
- March 3rd 2020, Write Off Room, Woodland Hills, CA, USA
- Feb 23rd 2020, Bogies, Westlake Village, CA, USA
- Feb 11th 2020, Write-Off Room, Woodland Hills, CA, USA
- Feb 1st 2020, Shim’s, Reno, NV, USA
- Jan 21st 2020, Write Off Room, Woodland Hills, CA, USA
- Jan 7th 2020, Write Off Room, Woodland Hills, CA, USA
- Jan 4th 2020, Mozambique, Laguna Beach, CA, USA
- Oct 17th 2019, Coach House Concert Hall, San Juan Capistrano, CA, USA
- Oct 5th 2019, Old Town Temecula Community Theater, Temecula, CA, USA
- Sept 26th 2019, The Write Off Room, Los Angeles, CA, USA
- Sept 21st 2019, BlueWater Resort & Casino, Parker, AZ, USA
- Aug 31st 2019, Harvelle’s Nightclub, Santa Monica, CA, USA
- Aug 17th 2019, Ralph Brennan’s Jazz Kitchen, Anaheim, CA, USA
- Aug 16th 2019, Knott’s Berry Farm, Buena Park, CA, USA
- Aug 15th 2019, SeaLegs at the Beach, Huntington Beach, CA, USA
- Aug 3rd 2019, Casa Escobar, Malibu, CA, USA
- May 18th 2019, Mad Dogs and The Englishman, Fantasy Springs Resort & Casino, Indio, USA
- May 17th 2019, Jimmy Z and the ZTribe, Sunset Serenade, Laguna Beach, USA
- May 4th 2019, Mad Dogs and The Englishman at Mozambique, Laguna Beach, USA
- Feb 13th 2019, Jimmy Z and the ZTribe, Harvelle’s, Santa Monica, USA
- Feb 9th 2019,Zydeco Party Band featuring Jimmy Z, Ralph Brennan’s Jazz Kitchen, Anaheim, USA
- Nov 2nd 2018, Bomber Bar Motala, Motala, Sweden
- Oct 28th 2018, Börlange House of Blues, Börlaye, Sweden
- Sept 15th 2018, Harvelle’s, Santa Monica, USA